Easy and Simple Ways to Prevent Chimney Fires

photo by Bernhard_Staerck- https://pixabay.com/en/users/Bernhard_Staerck-2130553/
photo by Bernhard_Staerck- https://pixabay.com/en/users/Bernhard_Staerck-2130553/

For most people, a chimney and a fire burning in the fireplace of their loving room is a sign of happiness, relaxation, and warmth. However, sometimes, things can get seriously wrong, and you can found yourself in the middle of a chimney fire. And while this may seem like the kind of thing that isn’t really your concern, chimney fires are unbelievably common. This is why it is important for you to be informed about what a chimney fire is and how it can be prevented by picking up on the signs before the worst can happen.

Noticing the sound of a chimney fire:

The best thing for you would be that you can notice the signs that a chimney fire is coming, because then you can save yourself from the disastrous results of the fire. These can include a loud sound of cracking or popping, along with deep and dense smoke and an intense smell. However, these signs can be difficult to notice amidst the busy on-goings inside the home.

The formation of creosote:

Chances are you must be unfamiliar with what the term creosote means. This term implies a think residue that can stick to the inside of your chimney, and is highly flammable. This paste comes about because of condensation inside the chimney, which causes all of the wood, gases, tar, and water vapor inside your chimney to form a think residue, and because it’s flammable, this can become the source of a fire.

Methods to prevent chimney fires:

If you follow certain methods every now and then, you can bring the chances of a fire down and keep your chimney and home safe from any fire. First and foremost, it is important to clean out the chimney at regular intervals. This way you don’t allow creosote to build up inside, and heavily reducing the risk of fire. Just use a simple chimney brush and remover and have your chimney cleaned with ease. Also, remember to never place any trees or any cardboard materials near the fire as they can burn and add to the creosote.

When it comes to what wood you should use, use seasoned or dry wood. Unseasoned wood needs more effort to burn, and so there will be greater creosote deposition inside the chimney. If the wood isn’t dry, it’ll release water vapours which will turn into smoke, which will be harmful for you and will escalate the building up of creosote.

What to do if you notice a chimney fire:

If nothing works and you notice a fire in your chimney, the first thing you need to do is to call up the police After that, you will need to let everyone inside know about the fire, and have them leave the home at once. Next, use a fire extinguisher especially for chimneys. Make sure all instructions are read and understood. Use the extinguisher then close all of the doors to reduce the supply of oxygen.

Next, you will want to check outside for any sparks. These sparks can be very dangerous and they can even set fire to your roof, so make sure the fire is contained. Finally, use a hose to clean around the chimney and put out the fire.

Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

See What Our Home Restoration Customers Think

  • "Seamless cleanup and preparation for restoration. Experienced insurance ambassadors."

    -Josh D.

    Arden, NC
    Google 5-Star Review

  • "Great group of people, honest, upfront about any additional issues they may find, and hard workers!! Great service and great work!"

    Lisa T.

    Arden, NC
    Google 5-Star Review

  • "Chris Smith, my plumber called Warren Restoration and literally within 45 minutes they were at my property. They took control of everything from removing the furniture, wet carpet, drywall, and baseboard. The company made my flood very easy to deal with, making sure they were on the property when the insurance adjuster came to view the damage. They took all the necessary photos and walked me through the process...

    Wendy P.

    South Asheville, NC
    Google 5-Star Review

  • ... I would highly recommend this company. From the Owner, Josh Warren to his employees, they were professional, respectful and extremely helpful. I am happy to say my property is dry and everything has been built back better than before the water problem. Thank you Warren Restoration!"

    Wendy P.

    South Asheville, NC
    Google 5-Star Review

Contact Us

1-828-595-4776

help@warrenrestoration.com

Connect With Us

Proud Member