Mold remediation can be a costly expense to a homeowner if the damage is severe. We here at Warren Restoration understand that the best case scenario for our clients would be if they never had to contact us at all! You can catch mold growth before it becomes a problem if you stay conscious of these early signs.
You cough without having a cold
Mycotoxin spores have the ability to wander into a person’s lungs when there is significant mold damage in a home. This can lead to a lingering, chronic cough that doesn’t go away easily. If you start experiencing these issues, it’s important to talk to an allergist. If the results come back with any traces of mold spores, it’s time tart eradicating the problem as soon as possible. You’ll have to hire a professional to help with the mold removal.
The exhaust in the bathroom isn’t working properly.
Bathrooms are the most common locations for mold growth. This is especially true for bathrooms without proper ventilation. The exhaust fan in a bathroom helps to fight off toxic mold by keeping the air well-circulated and dry. When these exhaust fans become clogged or damaged, mold has the opportunity to grow unimpeded. If you notice that humidity lingers in your bathroom for more than five or ten minutes, there is a good chance that the exhaust fan isn’t working correctly. The unit may have to be repaired, cleaned, or replaced altogether. In fact, it’s a good idea to regularly clean the walls of your bathroom with mold-killing solutions such as bleach. These are the easiest forms of mold treatment.
The floors feel wet and squishy.
Mold damage isn’t always restricted to areas in a home that are consistently wet or humid. In fact, some strains of mold have the ability to grow in areas that appear dry to humans. Whether you have hardwood, tile, or carpet floor, any sign of wetness could point to mold issues. If you have a basement or crawl space, it’s important to check underneath the wet spots to assess the damage. If these options aren’t possible, homeowners will have to remove a section of the flooring. Although this can be costly and time-consuming, it’s much better than having to pay extra for mold removal that wasn’t addressed quick enough. If you wait too long to solve this problem, the entire flooring may have to be removed.
Your home smells musty.
When mold grows for months without detections, there are significant health risks that can develop. Elderly or chronically ill individuals are at a higher risk for developing these adverse health effects. Although the symptoms may be similar for all people, those with weakened immune systems are naturally more susceptible to issues. If you notice a musty smell in your home, it could be a sign of mold growth. It’s important to call a professional who specializes in mold treatment to identify and fix the problem areas.
There are lumps in the attic insulation.
It’s time to remove those spider webs, clear away the clutter, and look closely at your attic insulation. If you notice an uneven surface or large lumps, your attic may be suffering from mold damage. Insulation contorts and produces lumps when there are unforeseen leaks. Roof leaks, busted pipes, and excess rain can all be causes of this issue. Regardless of the cause, excess water in insulation can be the perfect place for mold growth.