Not only is sewage disgusting but it’s extremely hazardous. It contains fungi, bacteria and viruses, many of which are disease-causing. People that are likely to be more affected are very young or very old people or those with compromised immune systems, respiratory problems or pregnant. Here are 5 key principles homeowners should know about sewage back-ups.
- Anyone who works on sewage losses must have updated vaccinations, including one for Hepatitis B.
- Sewage exposure is dangerous for people with weakened immune systems, including anyone under two or over 60, those who are pregnant, ill, and are recovering from surgery.
- It is unsafe to live in a home that’s flooded with sewage unless the contaminated area can be completely sealed off and placed under controlled air flow so that there will be no cross contamination of unaffected areas.
- Sewage-saturated materials, such as carpet, pad, upholstery, bedding, wicker, paper or even fabrics that can’t be washed in hot water (130°F/54°C) for at least 10 minutes, must be contained and disposed of properly. This goes for sewage-saturated drywall, insulation and several other structural materials too.
- Only trained professionals like Warren Restoration should attempt sewage remediation work. Then, a “third party” indoor environmental professional can provide post-remediation verification or “clearance testing” to ensure that the home is safe.
Warren Restoration is here for you 24/7 with a 90 minute or less response time for any of your emergencies. Call us if sewage has backed-up into your home or business and let us be your Restoration Heroes!