Fires are scary and very traumatic. Even if they are put out quickly and the damage is somewhat minor, fire damage can be hard to clean up and take care of. Here at Warren Restoration, we handle all sorts of damage cleanup situations, including fire damage, often and would love to make your fire damage situations easier. Here are a few things that are going to help the cleanup process, as well as a few things that you should avoid when possible.
What to do:
- Instead of tracking soot everywhere, line carpets and rugs with towels, rags or plastic.
- Your HVAC system can spread soot, so change your furnace and AC filters. You can also cover your vents with towels or even cheesecloth.
- Keep your movement within the home limited, and touch things as little as possible.
- Don’t forget about the fridge! If you don’t have any power, turn it off, clean it out and keep the doors open.
What NOT to do:
- Attempt cleanup on your own. This is a meticulous job that requires special attention and skills.
- Use anything electrical. Wiring can be damaged from fires at different points, and you never know where damage might be lurking!
- Keep canned goods. Throw them out, especially if they were near the fire.
- Launder your own clothes. Consider a specialty dry cleaner. Some cleaners can actually cause the soot and smoke smell to be set rather than cleansed.
If you are the recent victim of fire damage, please contact us here at Warren Restoration today for the best in cleanup results.